|Recap, photo courtesy of Buffalo State|
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 22, SUNY Poly - 9
LOCATION: Coyer Field - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (1-1), SUNY Poly (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Mary Musialowski (Lancaster/Sacred Heart) added four goals and Nina Schaefer (Lafayette/Lafayette) chipped in three goals and an assist.
- Kayla Rose (Lancaster/Lancaster) scored twice, while Maddy Brzezicki (W. Seneca/W. Seneca East), Liz Schultheis (Brockport/Brockport), Courtney Guzda (W. Seneca/W. Seneca East) and Kali Wright (Wyoming/Alexander) all recorded their first goals of the season.
- Schultheis opened the scoring for Buffalo State just under a minute and a half into the first stanza but the Bengals could not maintain the momentum as SUNY Poly evened the score just over 30 seconds later.
- The Bengals and the Wildcats traded runs over the next 18 minutes to even the score at 7-7 with 10:52 left in the first half.
- Buffalo State closed the half by scoring five unanswered goals, including a Schaefer goal with 24 seconds left, to claim a 12-7 lead at intermission.
- The Bengals continued their momentum in the opening minutes of the second half as they pushed their lead to 20-7 on the strength of eight combined goals from Dufresne, Rose and Musialowski.
- The Wildcats scored twice over the final 10 minutes but failed to mount a comeback.
- Janae Nelson (Elmont/Elmont Memorial) finished with eight saves in 48 minutes of action, while Mackenna Murphy (Rochester/Hoosac) added three more saves in 11 minutes in net.
- Buffalo State outshot SUNY Poly 34-23, including 30-20 in shots on goal, while completing 15 of their 18 clear attempts.
FOR THE FOES
- Kayla Prosinski finished with a game-high seven goals to pace the Wildcats, while adding an assist.
- Emily Somes and Samantha Dayter each added a goal.
- Raquel Galan and Alycia Lugo combined for eight saves in the contest.
Buffalo State hosts Allegheny in a non-conference contest next Saturday at 1 p.m. on Coyer Field.