|Recap, photo courtesy of Elmira College|
Records: Elmira (0-2), Morrisville State (1-2)
Location: Drake Field -- Morrisville, N.Y.
MORRISVILLE, N.Y. -- The host Mustangs of Morrisville State College shut out the Elmira College women's lacrosse team on Friday afternoon, earning an 18-0 non-conference victory at Drake Field in Morrisville, New York.
The EC defense held the Mustangs off of the scoreboard for the first 6:21 of the opening half, but Morrisville State broke through with goals 10 seconds apart at 23:39 and 23:29 to take the lead. Down 2-0, the Soaring Eagles had a prime opportunity to cut the deficit in half, as Mikayla Carfello '22 was awarded a free-position shot on the eight-meter arc. Carfello's attempt, the only shot on goal for the Purple and Gold in the contest, was saved by Morrisville keeper Kadi Bice to preserve the clean sheet.
The Mustangs went on to secure a 14-0 lead at the halftime intermission.
Elmira goaltenders Kacie Pierce '21 and Krystyna Lilland '21 split the game between the posts. In the opening half, Pierce logged eight saves. In the final 30 minutes, Lilland, who made her collegiate debut on Friday, recorded five saves and allowed only four goals.
Third-year midfielder Kate Gibson '20 had a busy day, as she hauled in a game-high five ground balls along with one draw control. Senior midfielder Mae Dinh '19 paced the Soaring Eagles with three draw controls and caused one turnover. Tina O'Donnell '20 and Macy Huntley '19 each finished with one caused turnover as well.
News and Notes
- Pierce started in goal for the second consecutive game and increased her save total to a team-high 21 on the year.
- Lilland made five saves in her first appearance of the season.
- Gibson led all Soaring Eagles with a season- and career-high five ground balls.
- Huntley made her first start in the second game of the year.
- O'Donnell, in her second collegiate game, recorded her first-ever caused turnover.