Wednesday, December 22, 2021

ON “CBS MORNINGS”: BERRY GORDY REFLECTS ON HIS CAREER AND LEGACY AHEAD OF THE KENNEDY CENTER HONORS

Motown Records founder and Kennedy Center honoree Berry Gordy helped establish the sound of a generation. He sat down with CBS MORNINGS co-host Nate Burleson to discuss the many artists whose careers he helped launch and how he hopes to be remembered. The music industry icon told Burleson that the sky wasn’t the limit for him: “It’s the first step.” 

The 44TH ANNUAL KENNEDY CENTER HONORS airs Wednesday night on CBS.

Watch here: https://cbsn.ws/3EltBeq

Twitter link: https://bit.ly/3J8TIJ9

Excerpts:

- On Diana Ross: “Diana Ross was the epitome of an artist that you might

want, or dream about, or pray for. You know? When I told her about the world of show business, and what she had to do, she just told me, ‘Berry, if you think it, I can do it.’”

- On Marvin Gaye:

BERRY GORDY: Marvin Gaye was so tough on me because he had, he was so brilliant in ways that he didn’t even know he was brilliant in.

NATE BURLESON: Is it true that you were hesitant about releasing “What’s Going On”?

BERRY GORDY: “Hesitant,” yes, yes, that’s true, that’s a true statement. Marvin came to me, and he wanted to do this thing about police brutality. I’m saying, “Marvin, you know, you’ve got a wonderful career. You’ve got “How Sweet It Is to Be Loved by You.” You’ve got two or three other songs that were big hits, and the women love you and you’re a sex symbol.” But he said, “Look, B.G., you’ve got to let me do this because I want to waken the minds of mankind. I’ve got to, you’ve got to let me do it.” And I said, “Okay, Marvin.” I said, “There’s a way,” I said, “if you’re right, I’ll learn something. And if I’m right, you’ll learn something.” And it turned out he was right.”

Follow CBS MORNINGS on TwitterFacebookInstagram and YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment