Thursday, August 19, 2021

GMA Digital Exclusive: Mindy Kaling talks body confidence, motherhood and female friendships

From ABC's Good Morning America:


In an exclusive interview with GoodMorningAmerica.com, actress Mindy Kaling discussed her battle with body confidence, how becoming a mother changed her life and how important female friendships are.

 

Kaling shared the moment she felt most self-

conscious about her body, which happened to be while working on “The Office” as a 25 year old. A co-worker in a writers' room suggested a simple joke: that their character should tell hers she could lose 15 pounds. But to Kaling, there was nothing funny about it.

 

"This is my greatest insecurity and someone just called it out. It's really devastating," Kaling recalled thinking, noting that she was already waking up extra early to go to the gym before work. Pushing aside her hurt feelings, Kaling began to look inward.

 

"I had a reckoning where I'm like, 'People are scrutinizing [me], and not only are they scrutinizing [me], they're verbalizing their displeasure with how I look because I don't look a certain way. That kind of dissonance has really affected so much of what I write about [and] the kind of characters I play"… "Almost all of those kinds of things [in my work] come from something really real.”

 

Despite her career success, Kaling said her personal life is what gives her the most confidence these days. Kaling gave birth to daughter Katherine Swati in December 2017 and welcomed son Spencer into the world in September 2020. Despite all the ups and downs of life, Kaling said she feels "so much more happy and confident after having children" than she did before. "In each subsequent year of my life, I'm just feeling happier and happier, and I am amazed at that," she said.

 

"Having children really changes your body," she said. "Most of the stories in Hollywood are these insane glow-ups like three months after someone gives birth and I'm like, 'Why can't I do that?' I put myself to the same standard. I want to have that same bounce back. And the truth is it just didn't happen after my son was born."

 

Read the full interview here: https://gma.abc/2W8c8FU


No comments:

Post a Comment