Saturday, January 19, 2013

Meet Former Miss New York USA 2012 Johanna Sambucini



NEW YORK - As Miss New York 2013 gets under way this weekend we'll look back at who won the competition in 2012. Last year the gorgeous Johanna Sambucini won Miss New York USA 2012. Let's get to know Johanna a little bit more.

Information below is courtesy of Miss New York USA.

Where were you born? 
Puerto plata, Dominican Republic

How long have you lived in your state? 
17 years

What is your favorite thing about your state?
New York has so much to offer! They have some of the best restaurants in the world and a great transportation system. My favorite thing about New York is the cultural diversity. New York is the nation of immigrants. There's so much opportunity here- it’s a place where dreams come true.


What is your current occupation?
Graduate Student and Model

Where did you go to school?
Currently I am finishing up my Masters Degree in Business Administration at Wagner College (Class of 2012)

What charity do you like working with the most? 
Autism speaks organization. Autism, really hit close to home and one of my goals as Miss New York USA is to reach out to our country about the importance on raising awareness on autism;  I believe that more service and awareness is needed on this growing epidemic.

What are some of your favorite hobbies?
I love traveling, water sports, playing the piano, figure drawing, fashion design, art, collecting key chains

What made you enter your state pageant?
I started watching beauty pageants at the age of 16. Before then I never really thought I could compete.  Even though I loved performing I went through a difficult time in my life between ages 11-13. When my father passed away, I became a shy girl that never spoke, cried, who was always afraid of things, thinking that I would never fit in society because I couldn’t speak English well, or wasn't pretty enough. I said to myself ‘you know what, I really want to make a difference in my life and in others. I have to start believing in myself’- and I did!

 I really enjoyed the art of performing and I decided to give pageantry a try. One of the reasons I really enjoyed beauty pageants is because pageantry is not just about picking a beautiful girl-it’s about the qualities that make her beautiful and the fact that she can become a great role model in society. I envisioned myself as one of those people that can make a difference in other people’s lives. To become the next MISS USA.. what a terrific opportunity that is! My mother was also right behind me encouraging me to compete in my very first pageant "Miss Diaspora International, which was a local European pageant, where I represented Italy and got 1st runner up! After that I decided to continue try other pageants and finally.. MISS NEW YORK USA. I believe that as Miss NY USA I can become a positive role model for younger women who were once just like me. I want to help them achieve their goals, never give up in their dreams, and show them that it’s not all about having outer beauty in order to fit in. It’s about having inner beauty. Inner beauty has a feeling of inspiration and is a significant tool in our nation that can help people achieve their goals and become successful in life. Inner beauty is what makes us who we are today and i believe that the person i am today will help me become the next Miss USA.

What has been your favorite thing you have done since winning the crown? 
Two of my favorite things that I've done so far as Miss New York USA were being able to celebrate my Dominican Independence Day with Univision and reading to children between the ages of 4 and 7 at the Block Institute in honor of Read Across America Day.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 
I honestly don’t know where I see myself in 5 years! There's so many goals I would love to achieve. I would love to continue to pursue my career as a model/actress and start my own collection of swimwear designs and perhaps open up my very own Dominican restaurant. I do know that I will continue on working with Autism Speaks and help make a difference.
















No comments:

Post a Comment