Monday, January 19, 2015

EXCLUSIVE Musician Spotlight: Megan Nicole

With over 2.9 million subscribers and 570 million views on Youtube, rising pop star Megan Nicole, 21, is taking the music world by storm with her independently released debut album “Escape.”

Born and raised in Katy, Texas, Megan did not always know she wanted to be a musician, but she knew music would always be part of her life. Growing up, she played piano for many years, but it wasn’t until high school when she purchased a guitar from a local pawn shop that she fell in love with creating and performing music. From that moment, she knew there was nothing else she wanted to pursue, and once she started making music there was no going back. To this day, she can still remember telling her parents that creating music was what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.

Family has always been important to Megan and continues to be one of her most powerful influences.  She will never forget her parents’ undying support and those late night drives to open mic sessions after school. For Christmas, her parents realized performing music was not going to be a phase, and they bought her a new guitar to replace her old “Pawn Shop.” This guitar was what she would eventually use to make her first YouTube video with a cover of “Use Somebody” by Kings of Leon.

It was these trailblazing creative covers that launched Megan’s career in 2009.  Quickly recognized
for her raw talent and passion for music, Megan became a viral sensation landing a spot in the coveted Top 100 Music Channels alongside top selling artists such as: Katy Perry, Adele, and Coldplay.

Continuously evolving as an artist, Megan released her debut album of original songs on October 14, 2014.  The 5-song EP, titled ESCAPE, will feature the lead single, “Electrified,” which is a pop hit flashing back to all that was good in the ‘80s.  ESCAPE showcases Megan’s pitch perfect vocals, captivating melodies, and unforgettable lyrics in a series of pop songs that will undoubtedly leave fans wanting more.

Megan credits her fans and the people around her for her continued success and persistence stating:

“It’s crazy to think that this girl from Katy, Texas has been blessed to travel and perform in places around the globe. Places I could never even imagine going to, let alone play my music at! My fans are the ones who discovered me and who continue to inspire me. They are the reason I get to do what I love each day! I’m thankful to be on this journey and to have my fans supporting me along the way. I’m excited to continue to create new music and meet new people each day.”

Megan currently resides in Los Angeles

We recently had the great pressure to interview this beautiful and talented twenty one year old singer. Here is what she had to say on music and more.

When did you start singing?
When I was 10 is when I really started to get into it. That's when my dad got us a karaoke machine for Christmas. I feel like we all come into this world singing. Music is just a part of us. 
Was it your dream to be a singer?
Not until I was about 15. I always thought I would be an interior designer or something. 15 is when I picked up the guitar and began creating my own music and completely fell in love.
Tell us about your style of singing?
I feel like my music is always evolving and growing as I do. I love pop music. I love making people feel good        and smile. I grew up listening to artists like Stevie Wonder and Queen so they have naturally had an influence on me musically.
Are there challenges pursuing a singing career and being a normal young lady?
It's definitely a challenge to balance my career and then think about things like dating. With this new year one of my goals was to find a better balance and take more time to spend with friends and meet new people. I can be a bit of a workaholic sometimes.
Do your parents and friends support you?
They are nothing but supportive. I'm so blessed to have them in my life. They put up with my crazy schedule and are understating. They keep me grounded and inspired.
Do you write your own songs?
I do, it's something that's always been important to me and that I enjoy.
If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
I think it all starts with not putting any limitations on yourself. Something that I'm still getting better at as I develop as a writer is opening up. Being honest when you're sharing your story. 
Where was your first performance, were you excited?
If you take it all the way back, 4th grade I performed at my school talent show. I sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and I was terrified before I got on stage! I even cried, but when I got on stage and started singing all those other worries went away. I remembering looking out to my family sometimes during the song and that helped. Just knowing they were there supporting me meant a lot. And they are still at all the shows today. 
How do you prepare your voice for a performance?
I do vocal warm ups. That's important to me. And I also always have tea. I love tea and it's just so soothing.
If I went to one of your concerts, what can fans and I expect?
Hopefully a fun time! I love to make people smile and make them want to dance. Live shows are my time to connect directly with my fans and I love every moment of performing.
Where have you been able to perform?
I've been blessed to travel throughout Europe and Asia, Canada and the U.S. in the past year. I would one day love to perform at the Houston Rodeo at Reliant Arena. That's my hometown and where I saw my first concert. To go back there one day and perform would be a dream.
Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
Artist like Stevie Wonder to Michelle Branch to Katy Perry. They all have inspired me in different ways musically. 

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I hope to use music as a platform to reach out to people in a positive way. And help organizations that I am passionate about.
What three words best describe you and your music?
Fun, pop, quirky
Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Work on your craft each day. This is something I have to remind myself of. There is always so much more room to grow and learn!
Do you have any other talents?
Acting is another love of mine although I'm not certain how good I am at it. I've been exploring it more the past couple of years and excited to start work on some fun projects 2015.

Are you passionate about any charities, if so, why?
Yes. Organizations like Love146 and the A21 campaign who work to abolish sex slavery. Also, organizations like Taco Bell for Teens Foundation that encourages teens to finish high school and equip them for the next steps of their journey.
Is education important to you?
Yes, I think education is important. Through school we are able to discover what we are passionate about and what are strengths may be. Beyond school we should continue to educate, grow, and challenge ourselves.

It sounds like Megan has a huge following through her music worldwide. She has a wonderful singing voice that will take her far in the music industry.

Megan has upcoming shows in California that she would you all to attend. These upcoming shows are a part of a tour with Lindsey Sterling.

Jan 29 - Napa CA @ The Uptown Theatre
Jan 30 - Sacramento, CA @ Ace Of Spades
Jan 31 - Monterey, CA @ The Golden State Theatre 
Feb 2 - Modesto, CA @ Gall Center For The Arts
Feb 3 - San Luis Obispo @ Christopher Cohan Performing Arts Center


Below are a few of her recent music videos.

You can view more of her videos  by going to https://www.youtube.com/user/megannicolesite. If you want to follow her on Twitter click here, Facebook here, Website here, Instagram here, Vine here and iTunes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment