Tuesday, May 6, 2014

EXCLUSIVE Musician Spotlight: Jordan JAE Interview

New York City, New York - From the crossroads of America comes a beautiful, talented fourteen year old rising singer that has a very unique voice that's catchy. Jordan JAE hailing from the iconic and cultured streets of New York City, 14-year-old pop sensation is about to burst the music industry wide open with her relentlessly catchy tunes. This musical wunderkind has been singing since she can remember and at the tender age of 7 was persuaded by her mom to take vocal lessons. By the age of 9, Jordan JAE picked up piano as well and wrote her very first original song. She confesses, “It was definitely the quality of a nine year old but like they say, you can only get better.”

With the support of her parents, Jordan JAE started writing songs whenever she could. She found creative vision in everything, from her daily life to her twin brother, Tyler. Stating, “Inspiration comes from the girl that helps someone because she wants to and not because she has to. It comes from experiences and books and movies and other music. Inspiration comes from the things that make you feel something, because that’s what music should do. Music should make you feel something.”

Around the age of 13 she was invited to record at SlumboLabs recording studio in Brooklyn by Jake Ottman. There she began to develop as a singer/songwriter, working alongside some amazing artists and producers. She’s quickly grown a strong online following with her YouTube cover videos, releasing beautiful renditions of Imagine Dragons “It’s Time,” Ingrid Michaelson “Breakable,” The Beatles “I Want To Hold Your Hand,” and more. Recently Jordan JAE teamed up with Grammy nominated songwriters and producers Kinetics & One Love (Eminem, B.o.B, Pitbull, Sean Kingston, Melanie Martinez) for her anthemic debut single, “Said No One Ever.” The tenacious, empowering breakup song and music video are was released on March 4th.

Jordan RAE a month ago released a music video for her original song "Said No One Ever". Her catchy vocals in this song catches your attention. This is a song Jordan sang beautifully and is one to listen too.

We most recently had a chance to interview this rising singer about her music and if there's any challenges.

When did you start singing?
I can’t remember a time I was not singing and performing. One of my memories was when I was 4 years old at my Grandparents house performing, “We Go Together”, from the movie Grease, in front of my family singing my heart out on my Barbie Karaoke Machine.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Yes always! My dad is a musician and I grew up listening to my dad play guitar and I knew I wanted to do something in music too. He would play mostly rock music not the type of music that I choose to sing, write or listen to; but I do appreciate his musical taste.  When I was younger I was always singing. Whether I was singing and my Dad was playing the guitar or I was just singing in my room I have always dreamed of being a singer.

Tell us about your style of singing?

Definitely Pop! It’s exciting and it’s what my friends and I love to listen to on the radio. I’m not old enough yet to get to go to all the amazing music clubs to hear people but love going to big concerts at The Garden. I like to listen to Pop, for inspiration, too.  I want to make the kind of music my friends would add to their playlists.

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
There are definitely challenges to pursuing my music career. Most teenagers don’t go to studios, write songs and perform at live shows but I still have to do my homework, go through school drama, and boy/girl drama just like everyone else. I have dinner with my friends, go to parties, movies, and do what normal teenagers do. I balance my schoolwork, social life and music by making sure I manage my time. My challenge is always time management.

Do your parents and friends support you?
My parents and my friends give me an enormous amount of support! My parents really want me to succeed and love that I found something that I couldn’t live without. They are always so happy for me and encourage me to keep pursuing my dream. My friends all think it’s really cool that I’m a singer/songwriter and are always so excited when any of my new music or even cover songs are released.

Do you write your own songs?
I do write my own songs! I started writing my own music when I was about 9 years old and I fell in love with it. I feel connected to the lyrics I write and the emotion is so real because it comes from my own experiences. It is an amazing way for me to express myself.

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
I start writing with a basic concept – a spark. Then comes the brainstorming and assembly; which creates somewhat of a story. Once I have some lyrics I start humming a tune in my head. Then figuring out chords on my guitar or piano. I know my song is complete when the lyrics are meaningful and it is something I would want to listen to on my iPod or on the radio. There is always a message behind my songs. Every song has a different message but they all convey their own special story. I always write about something that is important to me and has something to do with me personally or the lives of people I see around me. For example the message behind my debut single “Said No One Ever” is that you can’t let people push you around and you have to take back your power in a break up situation.

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
It was at The Bitter End in NYC and was amazing! I hadn't performed in a while and I forgot how much I missed it! I love the feeling of being able to share my music with people. Performing live to an audience who was right in front of me and close enough to touch was one of the most perfect moments for me as an artist. I am always thrilled that people care about the words that I have written in my songs and it is an awesome feeling that I get when the audience is listening and singing along with my music.

Where have you been able to perform?
 I will be performing at the upcoming Montauk Music Festival on May 16th and 17th. Being 14 years old has it challenges in finding performance venues. Some venues will not let me perform being that I am under age and other venues welcome my young age.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
My Dad and Avril Lavigne over the years have inspired me to become a singer/songwriter. My Dad has been playing guitar in our living room since I was born and has been in a band. He has always made music a part of my life – either as a creator or an audience member. When I was 8 years old I went to my first concert, an Avril Lavigne concert. It was amazing because she was and still is my female music icon! Avril has such an amazing style and her songs inspire me. I used to listen to Avril all day everyday and I would learn all the lyrics to her songs. My recent inspiration is Ed Sheeran. He always speaks to me through his lyrics.

If you could perform anywhere in the world where would it be and why?
My ultimate dream venue to perform is at Madison Square Garden. I have lived my whole life in New York City and have seen some of my favorite performers on that stage. I would know that all the thousands of people in that arena like my music. I know that this is a big dream but I have always liked to dream big!

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
One day I would love to write and perform with Ed Sheeran. He seems like a really cool guy and his lyrics are amazing!

What are some of your goals for your Music?
I want to be a better singer/songwriter. I also want to improve my piano and guitar skills. Producing my own music is also an ultimate goal of mine. As for my songwriting, I want to make people feel something in those few minutes out of their day when they listen to my songs. I want to connect with them.

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I am definitely enjoying the moment. Being 14 years old I am so happy at what I have accomplished so far. I hope to keep Improving and reaching out to people through my music. I also love performing my own music live and really want to do it more often!

What three words best describe you and your music?
I am funny, passionate, and determined.

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Follow your dreams! I find that the everyday things that happen at school and home always give me inspiration. Write songs, sing your heart out, and play your music as loud as you can. Do what makes you happy and the rest will fall into place. Try putting your music up online and see if you can create a following. If you believe in yourself someone else will too.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
I really want readers to know that the emotions behind my songs are real and that I will never stop being myself. I hope that shows through my voice and my lyrics.

Do you have any other talents?
I dance and have been taking hip-hop classes for a few years and really love it. I am also learning to produce my own music.

Jordan JAE performs live at The 2014 Montauk Music Festival www.themontaukmusicfestival.com
May-16 Friday              Sloppy Tuna                 5:30-6 pm
May-16 Friday              Zum Schneider            9:00-9:30 pm
May-17 Saturday         Gurneys                        7:30-8:15 pm


Jordan JAE with her catchy vocals has a really bright future as she's a really talented singer. We here at RCN America Network can't wait to hear more of her singing and music.

Watch her music video for her original song "Said No One Ever" below:

No comments:

Post a Comment