Saturday, October 19, 2013

Musician Spotlight: Jacquie Lee Interview

Colts Neck, New Jersey - Sixteen year old Jacquie Lee from Colts Neck, New Jersey is a contestant on the NBC's "The Voice".  On  "The Voice" Jacquie is mentored by Christina Aguilera  We recently had the chance to interview Jacquie on her music.

When did you start singing?
I started singing in the fourth grade. My very first performance was actually at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park. I sang Santa Baby for a holiday show.

Was it your dream to be a singer?
Actually, no. I was petrified of singing in front of people when I was younger. The first time I got the courage to sing in front of my family, I locked myself in a closet, turned off the lights, put my back to the door and sang. For some reason I thought if they couldn't see me, they couldn't hear me.

Tell us about your style of singing?
I really love classic songs, soulful melodies and folky lyrics. I guess my style of singing encompasses all of that. I like to call it folky pop-soul.

Are there challenges pursuing a singing career?
Of course! For me, it's just a challenge to balance my days with high school, field hockey, songwriting and just being a 16 year old.

Does your parents and friends support you?
Yes, they are so incredibly supportive. I am so blessed.

Do you write your own songs?
You bet I do!

If so, tell us what goes into writing a great song?
Soul, conviction, discipline and a knack for really great melodies!

Where was your first performance, were you excited?
The first time I sang my original music was at a small coffee house in Keyport, NJ called Espresso Joe's.  I was terrified, but it ended up being really amazing.

Where have you been able to perform?
I've got to sing the National Anthem at a Phillies game. I've sung at the great Count Basie Theater and I've had the privilege to sing at many charity events.

Who inspires you with your singing and songwriting?
All the masters that came before me.

If you could perform anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I would really be honored to perform just about anywhere in the world where people would be willing to listen.

Along the same line, who would you love to perform with?
If I could have had the chance definitely Michael Jackson.

What are some of your goals for your Music?
I look forward to releasing my originals very soon and I hope to get to be able to perform them live for you!

What do you hope to accomplish with your singing/songwriting?
I hope people will take the time out to listen to my words, understand my story and find comfort in my songs.

What three words best describe you and your music?
Soulful, emotional, real.

Do you have any advice for those wanting to start a career in singing and songwriting?
Know yourself, trust yourself, dedicate yourself to your passion & sometimes listen instead of speaking.

Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you, your singing/songwriting?
Yes, follow me @jacquieleemusic and like me at facebook.com/jacquieleemusic. :)

Do you have any other talents?
I like sports. I might be small but I'm mighty!

What was it like auditioning on "The Voice"?
It was the most surreal experience of my life!

We can't wait to see where this beautiful sixteen year old singing takes her. Please tune in to watch Jacquie on NBC's "The Voice".

No comments:

Post a Comment